13; Understanding Online WOM and Blogs (Wednesday)
· To understand three different approaches to how companies are using blogs and three different levels of involvement.
· To articulate objectives that can be accomplished through blogging.
Readings for This Class:
· Chapters 1-3 & Chapters 10 &11. Robert Scoble & Shel Israel. 2006. Pages 1-45, 149-180. (NC)
· Suggested Reading: Using Online Conversations to Study Word-of-Mouth Communication. David Godes & Dina Mayzlin. Marketing Science. 2004. Pages 1-17. (Bb)
· Suggested Reading: Utilizing the WOMMA Framework to Build a Syndicated Buzz Tracking Product. Jonathan Carson. 2005. Pages 71-76. (Bb)
· Suggested Reading: What Motivates People to Review a Product Online. Chrysanthos Dellarocas & Ritu Narayan. 2002. Pages 77-86. (Bb)
· Suggested Reading: The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews. Judith Chevalier & Dina Mayzlin. 2005. Pages 1-30. (Bb)
· Advantages and disadvantages of blogging
· Three ways companies are working with blogs and bloggers
· Debrief Marketing Communications presentation (15 minutes)
· PPT Presentation: Blog Marketing: From Interruption to Engagement, From Control to Collaboration
· Meet with each group for 5 minutes to discuss their plans. (20 minutes)
· Return group projects from evaluating organized WOMM programs
To Do (for next class):
· The One Number You Need to Grow. Frederick Reicheld. Harvard Business Review. 2003. Pages 1-10. (Bb).
· London School of Economics. Advocacy Drives Growth. Brand Strategy. 2005. (Bb)
· Suggested Reading: Firm-Created Word-of-Mouth Communication: A Field-Based Quasi-Experiment. David Godes & Dina Mayzlin. 2004. HBS Marketing Research Papers No. 04-03. http://ssrn.com/abstract_id=569361 (Bb)
· Suggested Reading: A 10 Point Road Map to Planning and Measuring the ROI of WOM. Lauent Florès. 2005. Pages 113-122. (Bb)
· Suggested Reading: The ROI of WOM. Jeff Eisenberg. 2005. Pages 93-99. (Bb)
· Suggested Reading: Wharton School Publishing BzzCampaign. BzzAgent. 2005. Pages 1-4. (Bb)
Tags: WOM word of mouth Word-of-Mouth Marketing buzz marketing viral marketing marketing communication