Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thanks, Director Mitch

-->It's always interesting to me when you learn about something new and suddenly that thing seems to start showing up in all these other elements of your life (I know there's a word for this, and I'm hoping someone will leave a comment to tell me what it is!). For example, if I learn the meaning of a new word I'll start noticing that word being used all over the place.

That being said, we were just asked in my Consultation Skills class to do research and write a report on a consulting firm that we were interested in learning more about. During my research, I came upon a blog called "The Window Manager" that mentioned the firm I'd selected. The blog is run by a man going by the name of "Director Mitch," and the post that I was interested in was written in April of 2004 about his experience in taking a class that was given by this particular consulting firm. The purpose of the class was to prepare the participants for things like televised interviews and dealing with the press. Director Mitch wrote that the class began with mock interviews conducted by "hostile reporters" in real television studios and in front of rolling cameras, and that they revealed how much the participants had to learn about things like handling difficult questions. Director Mitch went on to write that despite the humiliation of the initial interview, the class was great and he ended up learning a lot. He concluded by recommending that anyone given the opportunity to take the class should do it.

I don't know how many people read this man's blog, and it was just a brief notation in a journal-style format, so it wasn't anything like the fantaticsim we've been reading about in Citizen Marketers. I just thought it was interesting that taking this class has really been the first time that I'd thought much about blogs or word of mouth as a marketing tool and how powerful they both can be, yet they turned out to be things that I was able to use as a sort of unusual resource for a class of a totally different nature.
Tags:

1 comment:

Jason Altenburg said...

I found this post and was wondering if you've learned the word you were describing in the first paragraph yet.