· Identify factors contributing to the recent resurgence in WOM;
· Articulate how WOM is both a set of activities and a larger philosophy.
· Identify ways companies have responded to and/or worked with citizen marketers in the age of conversational marketing.
- Citizen Marketers: When People Are the Message. Ben McConnell & Jackie Huba. 2007. Pages 135-175 (Chapter 7 & Conclusion; CIT)
Content & Activities:
- Guest Lecture: Jackie Huba, Co-Author, Business Advisor, Secretary for WOMMA
- Bio: Jackie Huba is the co-author of "Creating Customer Evangelists: How Loyal Customers Become a Volunteer Sales Force." The New York Times has called the book "the new mantra for entrepreneurial success." For the past three years, "Creating Customer Evangelists" has been a worldwide phenomenon; the book has been translated into six languages.
- As a business advisor, Jackie has worked with Disney, Microsoft, Ulta, Whirlpool, Discovery Education, Campbell Soup Company and others.
- For the past five years, Jackie has been researching the effects of word of mouth on customer loyalty and how that translates into customer evangelism.
- Forbes has called Jackie's work "the word of mouth gospel" and recently U.S. News & World Report featured her work in a 3-page spread.
To Do (for next class):
- Print out Designing WOM Program assignment sheet
- Complete WOM Episode Survey #2 for Friday’s class.
Tags: WOM word of mouth Word-of-Mouth Marketing buzz marketing viral marketing marketing communication Northeastern University