Friday, March 16, 2007

Class 18: Organizing WOM: Company Roles, Structure, and Resource Allocation

Learning Objective(s):
  • To understand the importance of understanding existing WOM about your organization, brand, product, or service
  • To articulate the opportunities and limitations of tracking WOM through single-source, survey-based measurement
  • How to apply market research insights from everyday WOM conversations to strategic WOM marketing programs

Readings for This Class:

  • Single-Source WOM Measurement: Bringing Together Senders & Receivers; Inputs & Outputs. Ed Keller & Brad Fay. 2006. Pages 31-41 (Bb). See Class 6 on Blackboard for this reading.

Content & Activities:

  • Guest Lecture: Ed Keller, CEO, The Keller Fay Group [link to bio:]
    • Ed Keller has worked for twenty-five years in marketing and media research, consulting with clients in the corporate, media, agency and not-for-profit sectors. Ed previously served as CEO of renowned market research firm, RoperASW (and its successor companies), and prior to that, served as the company's president and COO.
    • Known as "one of the most recognized names in word of mouth" Ed lectures at the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg School for Communication and speaks frequently to business audiences on word of mouth marketing. He is a board member of the Advertising Research Foundation, serves as president of the Market Research Council, and is President and Director of the Word of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA).
    • The publication of Keller's book, The Influentials, co-authored by Jon Berry, has been called the "seminal moment in the development of word of mouth." Offering a ground-breaking look at the 10% of consumers who, by word of mouth recommendations, profoundly impact how the other 90% vote, make purchases, invest their money and choose their lifestyles, the book has been featured in leading publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, Fortune, Fast Company, Smart Money, Ad Age, Adweek and BrandWeek.
To Do (for next class):

· Continue progress on your DWOMP projects.

· Readings:

o None.


No comments: