Sunday, June 25, 2006


Wikimedia Foundation Inc.

As many of you know Wikipedia is an amazing place to spend hours clicking through windows learning about topics ranging from Internet protocols to where Metroid Prime comes from. Then the question hit me… What is a Wiki?

Where did I go to find the answer? Wikipedia of course and they define a Wiki as:

A wiki (IPA: [ˈwiː.kiː] or [ˈwɪ.kiː] [1]) is a type of website that allows users to add, remove, or otherwise edit and change all content very quickly and easily, sometimes without the need for registration.

This is just another way the web is truly becoming a two-way medium allowing people from all walks of life share their expertise. Wikimedia is a non-profit corporation founded in 2003 their goals are “to maintain and develop free-content, wiki-based projects and to provide the full contents of those projects to the public free of charge”






Tags:

4 comments:

ericrocksmyworld said...

Really interesting. Of course I hit up the Wikipedia often, and I've even heard of other Wikis (Marvel comics now uses one to keep track of its super heroes' bios. I know: nerd). But I never really thought about the definition.
That's a lot like this class in general. We're naming and thinking about things that many people take for granted. Sorry, getting nostalgic towards the end of the semester.

couture said...

I am an avid Wikipedia user myself and I think it's amazing how anyone can post new information or edit entries. As much as I love Wikipedia I always take the information I find there with a grain of salt. It's incredible how something like Wikipedia can create a two-way-flow of knowledge. As anyone can post information how do you know if it's accurate? I usually trust that enough experts read/edit the material that it must be valid. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

kenw said...

Wikipedia-so great and yet so controversial. I find myself up late at night all the time just scouring their site for the most obscure and interesting information possible. The issue of credibility is a big one though, since anyone can technically edit their site. Of course, it's got to be one of the best examples out there of how WOM can drive an online organization's success--after all, there are very few people I know who don't wiki like whoa...all this without the luxury of traditional advertising.

FrankBenway said...

The fact that Wikipedia works the way it does is certainly a sign of the times that illustrates why WOM is becoming such a popular and influential marketing tool today. In class we've discussed that this resurgance of WOM exists because of an increased consumer skeptecism, and the technological means for spreading information. Thus, a site like Wikipedia is able to thrive because all of the content is generated by its readers, and the increased use and popularity of the internet allows people to access and contribute to it.