Monday, June 26, 2006

Last Class : (

Our very last class has now concluded, and I thought it an apt (and necessary, ha, oops) time to reflect in total on what the class has done for me specifically. We talked today about what went well, what didn't, what we learned, and what we found most interesting. I obviously learned a ton about everything word-of-mouth: terminology, metrics, ethics, influentials (or the lack there of), social networks, WOM firms, case studies, blogging, program types, benefits, costs, etc, etc, the list goes on and on.

But I think one of the most interesting things that I took out of the class, was my new found respect and interest in pursuing a career (or at least an internship) in the field of consulting. I had always had a negative view of the profession as I had heard from past and present consultants that it can be rather soul-selling. I understand this a bit more now, but not in a negative light. I understand now how much work goes into consultation projects, how many of your own ideas, your own thoughts, and your own passion. But this does not intimidate me so much. I really like the idea of being able to put so much of yourself and your creativity into your work.

I suppose I'm being a bit sentimental right now, the stress of this class being over and all, and I imagine those in the class that were also taking consultation skills at the same time this semester might have a few things to say to this. But I'm open to it, interested in fact. This class was so interesting to me outright, perhaps that is why I enjoyed the DWOM project as much as I did.

Regardless, if my hypothetical illustrious career in consulting doesn't pan out, I still found this class to be a gem in Northeasterns Communications Department.


Tags:

1 comment:

kenw said...

Couldn't agree more. I loved this class and I only wish that more of our Comm. requirements were so real-world focused. Dr. Carl did a great job in giving us the skinny on WOM, and I personally feel ready to discuss it in my next round of interviews and even apply it at my next Co-op. It's not often that you leave a class knowing a lot about a topic that most in the business world are still trying to grasp (esp. a comm class).