Sunday, June 04, 2006

"Blogging in a Crisis" something NU doesn't do

--> I just finished reading our assigned reading “Blogging in a Crisis” and I found it so fitting to what is currently going on at NU. Earlier today as I was walking around campus, I smelled something burning a few seconds later as I was crossing Forsyth and heading over to the library I saw a bunch of cop cars, and fire trucks all over the street. At first I didn’t think too much of it but once I got to the library and looked out the window, there were a bunch of cop cars surrounding Churchill and there were a bunch of maintenance men carrying out burnt items such as couches, chairs etc. At this point I still assumed that it must have been another fire one like we had earlier in the year in Ell Hall.
It wasn’t until I got back to my apartment that I learned from my roommate that not only was there a fire in Churchill but there was also a fire in the YMCA and the Curry Student Center. She said that her friend told her that someone was responsible for doing it but didn’t know many other details about the situation.
Being a student here in the city I feel as though it is important that we always be informed of certain safety issues that are going on around us, especially if the person hasn’t been caught and could be anywhere on campus. So far I have not seen any information be released about the situation and I think that NU should have a blog to deal with safety issues like this. It is important to keep students’ safety in mind, and so far I don’t feel as though NU has done that at all, especially with this situation. I think that by releasing some sort of information, at least as to what happened is important, for safety and credibility reasons.
I think a blog would be a good way to deal with this issue because it would help curb rumors and things of that nature that aren’t true. By not saying anything I feel as though NU has something to hide, and in effort to save their credibility they don’t say anything. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. After all we are paying tons of money to go here, is it too much to ask of them to at least keep us updated on the campus we are paying for?
Tags:

9 comments:

DietPepsi said...

After reading your blog, I also feel very uninformed regarding certain 'events' taking place at Northeastern. Perhaps NEU police could have a hotline or updated webpage to explain to the students what is taking place around campus, in terms of safety issues.

Your idea of "blogging in a crisis" seems to have some correlation to the issue of students not knowing about athletic games (yes, that is a stretch but similar ideas).

NUlax17 said...

I thought it was funny to come across this post since I just found out about all of this 5 minutes ago in an email from my mom asking if I knew what had happened. This was the first I heard about any of it even though my parents (who live an hour west of Boston) had already heard.

I think some type of posting system is definitely necessary either on the myneu homepage or as a mass email - it doesn't necessarily have to be a blog in this case. I do agree, however, that a blog as means of crisis communication could be very much beneficial in maintaining a feeling of security on NU's campus. It will also help the flow of information spread considering many NU students live off campus and/or commute.

tanyak said...

The school should definatly come up some way to notify us about what's going on. We have neu announcements, but I did not see an announcement informing us of the fires. As a student here, I would like to be better informed. I heard nothing of this until I read this blog.
While informing the student body of fires, is not the same thing as blogging in a crisis, it relates. The school should institute a plan on how to distribute information that affects the students. So many things happen on campus that I hear about through WOM. From somebody who heard from somebody who was there when it happened. I almost never learn about those things through formal networks. And if you're a person who is not thoroughly connected in networks, they may not hear about anything.

Hillary said...

Wow, glad I read this post! I hadn't heard of any such fires recently! I heard about the fire that had happened in Ell Hall, yet I still have no idea how it happened or if they have taken people in to question them. There is definately a lack of communication when it comes to crisis' on campus. This was just proven as I had no clue until I read what my peers had written on this blog.

It is a very dangerous subject matter for the university because they probably do not want to broadcast these awful events happening on a monthly basis at this point. It is just bad PR. However, we as students obviously feel we have the right to be informed about what is taking place good or bad. Take for example, the fact that we usually find out about Northeastern doing well (or not well ha) in the Beanpot, but we don't know about events that could compromise our health. Not good.

A blog would be good but I am afraid there'd be so much "BS" on it, or people just venting and pointing fingers it might take a turn for the worse. But as always with blogging, at least we'd be aware of the main issue at hand.

tanyak said...

Oh, I eat my words. I just logged on to myneu and on the annoucements section, there was a link talking about the fires in Churchill and the Curry Student Center. oops.
Well, I still heard about it here first. And had the same experience with the fire in Ell. I heard about it and then about a day later it was talked about on myneu...

somerso said...

this is interesting since I have become accustomed to not reading the NU announcements when checking my email and this was the first i've heard of any fires since I also live off campus (and I'd assume RAs in dorms would possibly have some information for residents about this)...as for the fire in Ell Hall, i heard about it from the online NU News I have sent to myneu account before NU responded...very interesting considering you'd think theyd be on top of things...

DietPepsi said...

My father called me an hour ago to say the NEU fires were in the Boston Globe. I figured I would mention that since I blogged earlier about not knowing anything pertaining to Northeastern.

Jesols said...

I found out about the fire in churchill the same way you did, by being at the library. Reading this post was the first I've heard of fires in the other two buildings. I discussed this with my friends at lunch and my telling them was the first they'd heard of it. I like how NU doesn't feel it's necessary to let their most important stakeholders, their students, what is going on.

JStephens said...

I first heard about it yesterday morning (monday) on the news and so far that's all I've heard about it, besides from the post and these comments. NU seems to have an interesting way to deal with crisis. Remember last year the explosion at Kerr Hall that displaced like all the students? That was a much bigger situation than these fires, and still all I remember is an NEU announcement posting on the explosion. News crews were there reporting on it but I would bet if NU had a say they'd want them out of there. Studying crisis communication in org comm taught a lot on what a company should do in a crisis, NU seems to take the opposite approach.