Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Where NEU stands...

After the discussion we had yesterday in class with Brian Kenny, I have thought a lot regarding the subject of Northeastern. Coming from the greater Boston area, I have a hard time thinking that Northeastern is academically as rigorous as BC or BU. However, if the admissions department says otherwise, than I should probably begin to believe it. Growing up around here, BC always ruled the sports world while BU was the urban, enormous university. When will it be Northeastern's turn to shine?

First, I think it stems from the fact that NEU is relatively new in comparison to the other schools around here. I mean NEU was a commuter school not all that long ago. If you think about the progress our school has made in the past 10 years, it's actually quite remarkable.

I found these statistics on the NEU website

High GPA:
-— 25% earned a GPA above 4.0
- 50% earned a GPA between 3.40-4.00
-— 25% earned a GPA below 3.40
I found those stats to be quite impressive. No longer does NEU give the impression that it is a safety school for students that get rejected from say BU or BC.
To follow up on Brians conversation about other schools that get grouped with NEU, I found a chart on collegeboard.com. This website connects Northeastern to schools like:

Boston C
Boston U
Brown U
Cornell U
New York U



On the Princeton Review website, they give insight collegeboard lacks. For instance, they include student opinions about the school. This one talks about the student body
"Undergraduates report that "the vast majority of the school is comprised of people very concerned with their appearance and club life." At a school this size though, those outside the "vast majority" constitute a sizeable population, so "you can hang out with a bunch of different people from different groups, and you all get along well." There are students from all socioeconomic, ethnic, and racial backgrounds contentedly "all mixed together." Atypical students "have many resources and clubs available that cater to their ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc."
I wonder where Northeastern will be 10 years from now.

WOM, Buzz, & Viral Marketing Communication

7 comments:

JStephens said...

Cool post, it's interesting to see how Northeastern stacks up compared to other schools. I clicked on the College Board link in your blog to see some comparisons myself. Something I thought was interesting was the acceptance rates at NU, BC, and BU. NU accepts 47% of applicants, BC 31%, and BU is way up at 57%! I knew it was pretty hard to get into BC, but I didn't know the relative easiness it took to get into BU. NU sits 10 percentage points harder to be admitted than BU. I think more people are starting to apply to NU than BU because of its nice campus, diverse population, and "hip" feel it has over the snobbiness at BU. It goes to show how well the improvements here at NU have worked out over the years. The acceptance rate is certain to go down as NU continues to grow and high school grads become familiar with what co-op has to offer.

towey said...

I found your post very interesting! I transferred from a school in Virginia and I was in between NU and Drexel. Both of these schools offered several things I was interested in, including a great music industry program and the co-op program as well (which is great for anyone going into music). I had received an acceptance letter from Drexel and put my deposit in and about two days later I received a letter from NU saying that I had been accepted. I was from Philadelphia and the idea of going to Boston had always been in the back of my mind. I decided to come up to Boston to check out NU and was impressed by the campus, feeling as if I were on a campus while still in the city, and also all of the information about the co-op program. Coming to Boston, I did think that NU held a little higher standing within the city and especially with the information in the previous comment, one would assume that the prestige would be a bit higher. Although, after spending 2 years here, it is apparent that NU has come a long way!

Hillary said...

I liked this post because I am from Massachusetts as well and never really thought of applying to NEU when I graduated high school. I originally went to Hofstra in New York and found I missed Boston and started my rigorous search for a school to transfer to. My stepfather and three stepsisters had all attended NEU and loved it. However, I had known that my stepfather and 2 out of my 3 stepsisters had all commuted and therefore it turned me off to the school. They persuaded me to give it a chance because they said it had changed so much and it was getting to be a very competitive school. This is my third year here and I understand what they were talking about. This school is really great in diversity and the fact that it is a college campus in the middle of the city. Honestly, BU is a bunch of buildings all over the place and BU is out in the middle of nowhere. Personally, I think we got the best bet!

somerso said...

I think its interesting how you view NU and how we all came to be Huskies. For the comment on comparing NU to BU and BC, we've come along way and are almost as competitive as them (and I personally often defend the rigorousness and difficulty of my classes) but Admissions does use them as comparisons more for the demographics that apply to these schools, for their location and acadmic offerings, as well as for the fact that they are in the top 100 schools and it is widely known that this has been Freeland's goal for several years. At least we can boast that our own degrees will be worth more when we graduate since standards for enrollment have been more difficult. Personally, I enjoy seeing more intelligent students being enrolled. As for Collegeboard and PrincetonReview, I'm sure their information has been provided by universities, though it is interesting to see what students say about NU.

Jesols said...

As a previous co-op working in the Admissions Vistor Center (for all of you who don't know, that meant I was pretty much a glorified tour guide). One of the main things I took away from that co-op was how much prospective students compare us to schools like BC and BU. In all honesty, we can't compare. We are a relatively new university and we offer completely different programs than either of these two universities. The co-op program, which let's face it, is why most of us came to NU, sets us apart. In all honesty, NU was a safety school for me, but I'm pretty sure if I were to apply now, I'm not so sure I'd get in. I am proud to say that in a year I will be a graduate of NU and our degree will mean that much more once we go out into the work force.

ericrocksmyworld said...

I think that one of the obvious benefits we have over almost every school is co-op. Even besides that, we really do focus on experiential education, as demonstrated by the practical projects we do in this class. I thought it was interesting that you ended your post wondering about NU in 10 years. The university has evolved so much in just the last 10 years, that 10 years from now, who knows where we'll be? (Although I know that the administration would love to see us in the Top 100)

Bek said...

I love this post as I have often, as many of you have said, found myself defending NU as an academic force. I dated a boy for quite a few years that was very intelligent and ended up at Holy Cross, no problem. I always had a little unstated competition going with him I think concerning colleges and grades as he found things like that to be very important. I remember upon getting accepted to NU i was very happy, even though it was not my first choice. But there was still the lingering feeling of the outside perceptions of what NU is like (due to it only recently in the past decade or so coming up in the ranks, its status as a commuter school, etc.) I really enjoyed this post because it is a little justification to all us hard-working Huskies. I love seeing Northeastern's academic progress and hope that it continues to rise up through its mis-tagged reputation. Sucks to you HC.